Wednesday, July 7, 2010

¡Que ganen los españoles!



After two days, I have already learned a huge amount. I attached a picture of the building in which I attend my five classes (I added a Spanish culture lecture to my schedule). I’ve made friends with a couple other teachers who are around my age, and we have been doing our best to speak only in Spanish.

A group of four of us went to the Puerta del Sol yesterday after class to do a little shopping. We told one of our friends to meet us at the statue of the bear and the strawberry tree (El oso y el madroño) that has long been at the center of Sol. When we arrived we were shocked by the absence of the statue, certain we would never find our poor friend since our meeting point had vanished. Luckily, we soon found out that the statue had been moved in 2009 to closer to the Tío Pepe sign where it is no longer the cause of congestion. I attached a picture.



Of course we stopped at El Corte Inglés for some essentials and hit up some of the most popular stores (Mango, Blanco, Sfera) to check out the “rebajas.” Oh how I love sales. After a bit of shopping we walked through the Plaza Mayor and found a spot to enjoy a cold beverage in the shade. Like my friends on the East Coast, we are also enjoying (read: suffering through) hundred degree temperatures.

Tonight we are off to Santiago Bernabéu (the Real Madrid soccer stadium in Madrid) to watch the World Cup game on some big screens that they set up right outside the stadium. I’m sure it is going to be complete chaos, and if my camera makes it back alive, I will post pictures soon. ¡Viva España!

Tomorrow I head to the Prado Museum directly after school, followed by the Bebe concert. On Friday, we leave at 6am to go to Pamplona for the weekend, so I am not sure I will be able to post again until Monday, but I will certainly have lots of interesting stories by that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment