Monday, July 26, 2010

Toledo y tapas...

On Saturday, we went with one of our professors to Toledo. It was approximately one million degrees out, but I still enjoyed seeing the city famous for the works of El Greco and for the coexistence of Christian, Jewish, and Moorish cultures (for which it has been named an UNESCO World Heritage Site). I especially appreciated seeing the painting “El Entierro del Conde de Orgaz” in person, because I teach my seniors about it.



I also was able to see my friend Marybeth from the University of Richmond twice this weekend. She has been living here since 2006. Friday night, “salimos a tapear” or rather, we went out for tapas. My new favorite is “pimientos del padrón.” The nightlife here is somewhat dictated by the metro because it closes at 1:30am and doesn’t open up until 6am. I fully blame the metro schedule for the fame of the madrileños going out all night… My Saturday night/Sunday morning ended with a “bocadillo de tortilla española” at 7am. Hey, I’m here to immerse myself in the culture after all!

1 comment: